Shazam! Stories from a Life of Spirit-in-Action
I always assumed that toward the end of my life I would write my memoirs. I have indeed had an extraordinary journey, and sharing its highlights with others seems a good way for me to do a life review while also extending the opportunity for others to peek in and take out whatever is relevant for them.
That said, when the time came to write the book, I realized that I didn’t necessarily have the mental attention to actually write. So, with wonderful guidance from professional videographer Paul Gittlesohn, I did my memoirs in the form of a video instead.
You can access the video free of charge on Vimeo, act by act – see links below. Or you can buy a four-DVD set that includes the full Shazam! plus three other videos I’ve made in my lifetime, for $30. Click here to purchase.
I am so pleased to share this gift of my life with you. May it bring you whatever you seek, a few good surprises, and the occasional giggle.
Shazam! Stories from a Life of Spirt-in-Action
Dedication (2 minutes, 22 seconds) – For the children of tomorrow
Prologue (6 min. 19 sec.) – An introduction to this memoir
Act 1 Sunfeather! (15 min. 31 sec.) – The dramatic story of my spiritual awakening; launching my path of service
Act 2 The Sunfeather Prequel (1 hr. 39 min.)
- Childhood – Early memories, lessons from my parents
- Summer Camp – Where I meet the natural world and steep in Quaker values
- Family Heritage – Tracing the family tree from ‘the old country’
- Moral Awakening – Who and what influenced a growing conscience about the world around me and my responsibilities in it
- World Traveler – Early adventures across Europe and beyond
- Professional Development – Skills and experiences that provided critical vehicles for later service
Act 3 In the School of Light (38 min. 40 sec.)
- Spiritual Training – Learning from my spiritual teacher and community
- Healing Stories – Examples of putting those lessons into practice
- The Path of the Heart – Integrating Native and non-Native cultures
- The Ministerial Path – Serving others as spiritual friend and guide
Act 4 - Part 1 Part 2
Peace is All There Is (3 hr. 50 min.)
- The Inner Preparation – How I overcame my aversion to violence
- The Israeli-Palestinian Adventure – Immersing myself in this situation during the Intifada and beyond
- Multi-Track Diplomacy and the Tibet Adventure – Co-founding the Institute for Multi-Track Diplomacy to bring systems thinking to peacebuilding; offering training to the Dalai Lama’s Government-in-exile
- The Business Portal and Festering Wounds – Working with business leaders in Asia; reflecting on the India-Pakistan Partition as an open wound still resonating throughout the region and the world
- The Cyprus Adventure – Sharing the deep and long-term peacebuilding and systems change efforts in that island and region
- The Bosnia Adventure – Stories from the work there after the end of the war
- Partnership Adventures – How various partnerships strengthened my peacebuilding activities
- Breaking the Heart Open – How I managed to deal with all the suffering I encountered
- Adventures in Diversity and Power – Lessons from my work in the Humanitarian and Relief community
- The Kenya Adventure – Powerful stories of healing in East Africa
- Feeling the Pain of Others – More on developing compassion
- The IMTD Legacy – Providing a training ground for future peacebuilders
- Building a Culture of Peace – Bringing the peacebuilding lessons back home through The Peace Company
- The Spirit of Peace – Connecting with the living presence of peace
- Organizational Karma – Describing the many organizations I’ve helped bring into being
Act 5 There is Only One of Us (37 min. 56 sec.)
- Bringing Systems Thinking to the Policy Community – Describing my seminal work with systems and policy in Washington DC through Global Systems Initiatives
- New Voices, New Visions for National Security – Supporting the next generation of creative thinkers
- Systems Thinking and Middle East Peace Talks – Helping State Department officials go below the surface in preparing to lead Israeli-Palestinian talks
Act 6 Holy Mischief (1 hr. 32 min.)
- The Cancer Journey – Exploring the blessings and lessons from five rounds of cancer over 40 years
- This I Know: My Spiritual Will – Sharing the 12 most important bits of wisdom I’ve gleaned in my lifetime
Act 7 The World You Will Live In (19 min. 18 sec.) – Addressing the next generation: given the challenges and opportunities facing the world, what skills might be useful for you to develop?
Epilogue (3 min. 14 sec.) – What is Shazam!
Louise Diamond has recently completed a video memoir which is available online free of charge on your left.
Or you can buy a four-DVD set that includes the full Shazam! plus three other videos Louise Diamond has made in her lifetime